Full Governing Body Overview
The governing body works together in partnership with the head teacher and staff, to ensure the provision of a good education for our children. We are required to set targets for improvement and ensure that the National Curriculum is delivered in an effective manner. The governing body is made up of elected parents, representatives of the local community, school staff (including the Head teacher) and people appointed by the local education authority.
The role of the governing body is to provide a strategic direction for the school and oversight of the school management. In order to help our school provide the best possible education for our pupils, we:
- Think and work strategically to help raise standards
- Monitor and evaluate progress towards the school’s priorities
- Support the Head teacher and staff and challenge their expectations
- Account to all stakeholders for the school’s performance and for the decisions we make.
We are involved in areas of school management such as:
- The financial management of the school
- The curriculum
- Pupil welfare and discipline
- Appointment and dismissal of staff
- Property and buildings
- Links with parents
- Community links
- Health and safety.
Individual governors have special responsibilities (e.g. special needs, literacy, numeracy, science, the arts) and we have committees to manage finance and staffing, premises, health and safety and the curriculum.
The governing body has a responsibility to ensure that its decisions are implemented and evaluate their effectiveness. To do this we receive information from the Head teacher, other staff and fellow governors, and we make visits to school.
Full governing body meetings are held every half term and committees meet at least once every term.
Finance, Staffing and Planning Committee
Chair: Marcelo Clarke
- To hold the HT and designated SLT to account for management of the school finances and the allocation of resources to further the educational aims of the school.
- To provide guidance and assistance to the Head Teacher and the Governing Body in all matters relating to Staffing, Budgeting and Financial Management.
- To provide guidance and assistance for the Head Teacher in maintaining and improving the school environment.
Safeguarding and Inclusion Committee
Chair: Claire Spencer
- To hold the Head Teacher and designated senior leaders to account for standards of safeguarding in the school.
- Ensuring the school meets all the statutory regulations relating to safeguarding.
- To hold the Head Teacher and designated members of the Senior Leadership Team to account for the implementation of all statutory requirements relating to Inclusion, Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) and Curriculum Development.
- To provide guidance and assistance to the Head Teacher and Senior Leadership of the school on all aspects of Inclusion, SEND and Curriculum Development
Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Committee
Chair: Liz Holmes
- To hold the Head Teacher and designated members of the SLT to account for the implementation of all statutory requirements relating to Curriculum Development.
- To hold the Head Teacher and designated members of the SLT to account for the standards of Teaching and Learning through-out the school.
- To provide guidance and assistance to the Head Teacher and Senior Leadership of the school on all aspects of Curriculum Development