Moving On — Reception
Nursery and Reception classes are referred to as the Foundation Stage of learning. This is an important stage, as it is during this time that attitudes to learning are formed and social skills developed which lay the foundations for future education.
There are three reception classes, each with a teacher and a dedicated teaching assistant. There are 90 full time places available in the Reception Class.
Learning takes place in whole class sessions, small group focussed sessions and through self-directed free choice activities. There is a shared area where the children are taken on a rota basis. They can choose from exploratory activities, creative activities, outside activities and role-play. All of the activities will be based on a learning theme, which the children will be able to access and learn through play in a secure but challenging environment with effective adult support.
Through play, the children can:
- Explore, develop and represent learning experiences that help them to make sense of the world;
- Practise and build up ideas, concepts and skills;
- Learn how to understand the need for rules;
- Take risks and make mistakes;
- Think creatively and imaginatively; and
Communicate with others as they investigate or solve problems.
9.00am – 3.20pm
There is always a member of staff on the door in the mornings to greet the children who can also record and take messages to your child’s class teacher. Appointments can be made to see your child’s class teacher through the office or teachers are available more informally after school.
- During each morning we have snacks when the children are given milk or water.
- A snack of fresh fruit will be provided during the sessions. Please let us know if your child is not allowed to eat certain foods.